The Coastwide Salmonid Genetics Meeting has found a new home with the AFS Genetics Section! All we think you need to know for the 2018 meeting is included below. Please also see our news webpage or search for “Coastwide” in the navigation bar above to see our latest news postings about the event. If you have any other questions, please contact Coastwide2018@gmail.com
Dates: 18-21 June 2018
Location: Beautiful Mukilteo, Washington
Online registration portals: Abstract submission and registration deadlines were both 10 April 2018. Abstract submission is now closed and the submission portal has been disabled. Two options for registration and payment submission remain open at this time. The first option enables you to pay with a credit card, purchase card, or travel card through PayPal. If your organization does not allow payment through PayPal, you are welcome to use the second option to pay via personal check or money order. Please note, the regular registration rate was raised on 1 June 2018 to $250; the student rate and banquet will remain at $200 and $35, respectively. We also understand emergencies arise, but because we have committed to the catering and site expenses, no refunds will be given after 8 June 2018 for registration or banquet fees paid.
Talks and discussions:
Rosehill Community Center
304 Lincoln Ave
Parking for the Rosehill Community Center is available free of charge in the upper and lower lots (click on map at left). Street parking is also available but is limited to 4 hours. Please make an effort to carpool, and many of the hotels have shuttles. Shown in the map are also restaurants that are open for lunch and within walking distance of Rosehill.
Hilton Garden Inn
8401 Paine Field Blvd
- No-host gathering: Mon, 18 June, from 7-9pm at Diamond Knot Brewery and Alehouse. For those of you arriving looking for a bite to eat and local brew, we’ve made a reservation for you to drop in at the Diamond Knot Brewery (621 Front Street, Mukilteo). This is a no-host event, but a few of your organizers will be there to say hello, welcome you, and join you for a drink.
- Science: Tues-Thurs, 19-21 June, at Rosehill Community Center. Talks will be delivered from a PC that we will provide. Please make an effort to test that your presentation will work on a PC, either in Powerpoint or as a PDF. The room may be bright even with the shades drawn on sunny days; black text on a white background seems to give the best visibility. Please submit your presentations to the link provided in the informational email no later than first thing in the morning the day of your talk, and name them with the following convention: lastname_firstinitial_[TUES,WED, THURS]_time.
- Plenary: Tues, 19 June, at 9am at Rosehill
- Discussion groups: Tues-Wed, 19-20 June, at 3:30pm and Thurs, 21 June, at 8:30am at Rosehill
- Poster session: Tues, 19 June, at 4:30pm at Hilton Garden Inn. Please keep your poster no larger than 4′ x 4′. You may leave your poster at the Hilton Garden Inn reception or at the Coastwide check-in desk on Tuesday morning. We will take your posters to the HGI and hang them in advance of your arrival for the event.
- Dinner social: Wed, 20 June, at 5pm at Rosehill. If you’re inclined to bring your instrument with you for an impromptu performance with colleagues, please feel free. We have a stage! Discuss amongst yourselves.
Student travel awards: Two $500 student travel awards will be available, including one from Coastwide and one from the Genetics Section. Submitted abstracts will be judged based on scientific quality, novelty/originality, conservation value, and writing quality. Students must check the appropriate box under the travel award inquiry on the abstract submission portal; students need not submit a formal application package.
Accommodations: Hotels are in order of proximity to the Rosehill Center; please see the Rosehill Mukilteo Google Map. There is shuttle service for most of the hotels, and there are also room blocks at some hotels (first come, first served; links will be provided as they become available).
- Silver Cloud; 718 Front Street, Mukilteo, WA 98275; (425) 423-8600; room block link: walking distance (0.3 miles) to Rosehill Community Center and approximately two blocks from the Diamond Knot Brewery, reservations and discounted rates based upon availability and subject to applicable taxes
- Hilton Garden Inn Seattle North/Everett; 8401 Paine Field Blvd, Mukilteo, WA 98275; (425)423-9000; room block link: book by 21 May 2018 for group rate [location for 19 June Poster Session]
- Townplace Suites by Marriott Seattle Everett/Mukilteo; 8521 Mukilteo Speedway, Mukilteo, WA 98275; (425)551-5900; room block link: must book by 18 May to receive discounted rate
- Staybridge Suites Seattle North/Everett; 9600 Harbour Pl, Mukilteo, WA 98275; (425) 493-9500; room block link: after clicking the room block link, select the $130 Studio Suite rate, and then the Coastwide Salmonid G Special Offer to make your reservation
- Best Western Plus Navigator Inn & Suites; 10210 Evergreen Way, Everett, WA 98204; (425)347-2555; room block link
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Lynnwood Seattle Everett; 18123 Alderwood Mall Pkwy, Lynnwood, WA 98037; (425)670-8943; no shuttle, no room block
Airport shuttle: Shuttle Express from/to Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEATAC), (425)981-7000
Local attractions: For more info and options, visit Trip Advisor Mukilteo.
- Future of Flight Aviation Center and Boeing Tour (group rates TBA)
- Flying Heritage Collection
- High Trek Adventures
- Historic Flight Foundation (group rates TBA)
- Lighthouse Park
- Whidbey and Camano Islands (ferry terminal near Rosehill)
- Island Adventure Whale Watching
- Get Hooked NW (fishing charters)
- TRAXX (indoor racing)
- Harbor Point Golf Club
- Diamond Knot Craft Brewing [site of 18 June Evening Social]