The Minnesota Chapter of the American Fisheries Society is excited to host the 2020 annual meeting in Willmar, MN from February 10-12, 2020. Stay tuned for more information!
Leaving a Conservation Legacy
We have all heard the same story. “Fisheries conservation in Minnesota will continue to require increasingly creative solutions to more complex problems. At the same time, there is a question as to whether or not the conservation funding model supporting our work is sustainable.” Now more than ever, we need to develop a better-shared understanding of the bigger conservation picture and work to break down barriers across programs to ensure future success.
ABSTRACTS – Presentations and Posters
This meeting will provide students and professionals with the opportunity to learn and present on the extraordinary fisheries research and management in Minnesota. In addition, the intent this year is to highlight broader statewide, regional, and national level conservation issues. Submissions can encompass the broad diversity within fisheries, but should benefit a range of audiences that aim to advance the science of fisheries ecology, conservation, and management. Presentations that are consistent with the meeting theme are encouraged in addition to our more standard topics. If you have suggestions or would like to assist in creating a specific symposium, please let us know (contact information below).
- Please consider submitting an abstract for a paper presentation, poster presentation, or both! In addition to our standard poster and 20-minute paper presentation abstracts, we will be accepting abstracts for shorter 10-minute paper presentations to allow an opportunity for those with incomplete projects or projects that may be in a proposal or design phase to present.
- Abstracts (300 words or less) must be submitted by January 10, 2020.
- Notification of accepted abstracts and program time slots will be sent by January 17, 2020.
- If you have any questions please contact Patrick Schmalz (email@example.com) or Edie Evarts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Professional registration:
- Full conference $110.00
- Tuesday only (no banquet) $85.00
- Wednesday only $75.00
- Student registration:
- Full conference $80.00
- Tuesday only (no banquet) $55.00
- Wednesday only $35.00
- The registration deadline is January 17, 2020.
As in recent years, we strongly encourage early registration for the annual meeting through the Chapter web site (payment via PayPal).
Meeting dates: February 10-12, 2020
Meeting Schedule – Coming soon
List of Presentation Abstracts – Coming Soon
List of Poster Abstracts – Coming Soon
- The “Revelations in Communications Workshop” presenters are Kirsti Marohn of Minnesota Public Radio and Michael Winikoff of the University of Minnesota. The focus of this workshop will be how to present scientific information to the public and media – and how it can be perceived. The is a fee for this workshop: $45 professionals ($20 students)
- The “Student Resume Building Workshop” will be followed by a student-professional mixer. Students, this is your opportunity to have your resume reviewed in a low pressure environment. You have a chance to have one-on-one discussions with professionals with a wide range of experience and from a variety of employers in fisheries. This workshop is free. Be sure to bring your resume.
A block of rooms will be held for MN AFS meeting attendees at the Best Western Plus, Willmar, MN.
- The rate will be $89 per night. Make sure to mention the Minnesota Chapter of the American Fisheries Society to get the discounted room rate.
- The hotel indicated that they prefer we call them directly (320) 235-6060 to reserve rooms.
- The hotel will hold rooms for us through January 17, 2020.
Best Western Plus
2100 Highway 12 E
Willmar, MN 56201
As always, we will need paper and poster judges, session moderators, and all the extra hands we can get to help make this meeting a success. If you are interested in volunteering, please check the volunteer box on the registration form or contact Craig Kelling at Craig_Kelling@fws.gov
Please nominate yourself or someone you know who deserves to be recognized! Winners will be announced at the annual meeting. units.fisheries.org/mnafs/awards
- Award of Excellence: given as a special recognition to an individual who has made a remarkable contribution to MN AFS. Someone who has shown exceptional dedication and skill in the advancement of fisheries science or development of fisheries professionals through MN AFS would qualify for nomination.
- Dennis H. Schupp Award of Excellence: given to someone who has shown exceptional dedication and skill that spans a substantial part of their fisheries career.
Please send your nomination with an explanation of why the person deserves this award to Jessie Koehle at email@example.com. Thank you for your consideration!
Looking for leadership opportunities? Think about running or nominate someone else for one of our EXCOM positions!
- President-Elect (DNR)
- DNR Representative
- Open Representative
Voting will occur in advance of the annual meeting and announcement of the winners for each position will occur at the Annual Business Meeting. For more information, please contact our Nominations Committee Chair Paul Glander (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Interested in giving back and becoming more involved in MN AFS? Think about joining one of our committees!
- Long-range Planning
Perennial Special Committees
- Continuing Education
- Procedures Manual
- Rivers and Streams
- Science Fair
For questions regarding the meeting contact Craig Kelling (email@example.com)