Smith-Root Apex Backpack Electrofisher
The Apex Backpack Electrofisher is the top of the line electrofisher and is transforming fisheries research.
Compare all backpack electrofishers here.
In our process to create the most advanced electrofisher in the world, we asked scientists like you about advancements they needed to improve their science. You asked us for expanded ranges, automatic data logging, and the ability to easily standardize across sample sites.
You asked, we listened.
The Apex electrofisher has expanded electrical capabilities, records electrical inputs and outputs each second, and graphs critical values on an easy to use color LCD screen. In the field or the office, download your electrofishing data rapidly via USB to analyze data from your session.
What sets the Apex apart:
- easily map your electrofishing transects
- quickly troubleshoot electrofishing issues with onscreen help and advice
- see the data about the performance of your electrofisher
- easily standardize your electrofishing outputs
- visually understand what voltage, duty cycle, and frequency are just by looking at the screen of your electrofisher
- receive advice on the screen of your electrofisher about what settings to use
- see graphs of your critical electrofishing variables for the past 3 minutes on the screen of the electrofisher so that you could simply glance down for a second to make sure that everything was operating as intended and variables are holding steady
- update the software of your electrofisher simply by plugging in a flash drive
- download all your electrofishing electrical inputs and outputs, along with GPS and many other variables for every second the pedal has been down
- set an alarm for the number of seconds you need to electrofish and have the electrofisher tell you when that effort has been reached
- use day or night mode on the screen of your electrofisher to improve visibility in all light conditions
- GPS coordinates and battery information across the top
- input variables you select across the right column
- dynamic visual display of your output across the bottom that depicts the voltage, frequency, and duty cycle you selected
- three minute output graphs across the middle to make it simple for you to determine performance of outputs going into the water.
Apex is Trending
While electrofishing, the full color LCD screen displays three minutes of electrofishing output graphs for Peak Voltage, Peak Current, and Peak Power. A quick glance at the screen provides rapid analysis of trends in the electrofisher’s performance to give you confidence in your settings and technique.
Integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates are recorded while electrofishing, eliminating the need for manually recording location data. GPS coordinates are easily exported from the electrofisher and imported into standard mapping software to create professional displays.
The Most Features of Any Backpack
With more than 50 years of building electrofishers under our belt, we pulled out all the stops when designing the Apex. Dual Channel Outputs, Widest Electrical Output Ranges, Timer Alarm, Help Tutorials, Diagnostic Mode, Animated Waveform, Trend Graphs, GPS Coordinates, Battery Meter, Data Recording, Data Download, User Performed Software Upload, and more.
Standardization is Standard
The Apex revolutionizes electrofishing output standardization. Onboard help and graphed trends provide realtime information to standardize electrofishing outputs between waterbodies with differing environmental conditions.
Get Help In The Field
Did you forget what frequency, duty cycle, or voltage to use? The Apex comes loaded with an onscreen help system containing tutorials, suggestions, and tips that make your fieldwork more effective and informed. If you encounter issues that you are unable to resolve, quickly download and send the recorded data to Smith-Root for diagnostic help.
Apex Backpack Electrofisher Specifications
|Output Power||400W continuous, 47,000W peak|
|Output Voltage||50 to 1,200V in 1V steps|
|Output Frequency||0 to 1,000Hz in 1Hz steps|
|Duty Cycle||0% to 100% in 1% steps|
|Output Current||40A peak max, 4A continuous at 100V|
|Output Waveforms||Smooth DC, Pulsed DC, Burst of Pulses DC|
|Waveform Storage||Save voltage, frequency, duty cycle, and pulse type for 12 different waveforms|
|Operational Duty Cycle||40% Max. (192 seconds on 288 seconds off) at 40°C ambient 400VA output|
|Overload Protection||Excessive peak current, average current or over-temperature will shutdown the unit before damage can occur. Resets automatically when condition is corrected|
|Output Indicator||Audio tone, Flashing red light, Dynamically plotted output waveform, Charted displays for output voltage, current, power, and % load. Diagnostic screen shows all inputs and outputs, including peaks and averages|
|Metering||Peak and average output current, Peak and average output voltage, Peak and average output power, Battery voltage, Battery current, Battery fuel gauge, Timer and alarm, Waveform settings, Case temperature, Heat sink temperature, Percentage load, Error messages, Fault conditions|
|Output On Timer||0 to 999,999 seconds, resettable via menu|
|Environmental Requirements||Operational altitude: -400 to 3000 meters
Relative humidity: 10% to 90% noncondensing
Operating temperature: 0° to 40° C
Storage temperature: -15° to 50° C
|Construction||Sealed molded polyethylene and ABS case NEMA 4, IP 65|
|Safety Devices||Output indicator
Tilt switch: Forward 50°, backward 40°, sideways 45° all ± 10°
Electrode out of water sensor
Electode pole switch
Emergency stop switch
Battery compartment interlock
Battery fuseable link
|Battery||Choice of 24V lithium or lead-acid batteries|
Phone: (360) 573-0202