Executive Committee Meeting Minutes- March 2020

AFS Fisheries Information and Technology Section

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

March 13, 2020


Attendees: Kayla, Rebecca, Paul, Dan, Tiffany

  • Old Business
    • Rebecca has fixed the email/newsletter issue.
      • Limited to one user on mailchimp and limits on sending emails
      • Difficult to manage as a group
      • MailPoet has been activated on the FITS Site. Action Item: Rebecca will work to transition the Section’s news entirely to MailPoet before the next meeting
    • CE workshop videos: Change SEO to relevant searches and see about single sign on SSO for our site (Rebecca).
    • Yoast SEO is a viable option for improving the “searchability/findability” of our website; Grant will work on implementing it on our unit site within the next week
    • SSO connecting a login from fisheries.org to the unit sites is fairly easily done, but a substantial enough project that it would need to be its own “line item” for the web programmer. Action Item: Rebecca will pursue this through the Electronic Services Advisory Board, as it affects all units and could be incredibly useful for all units.
  • Midway meeting report (Paul)
    • Day and a half long with a lot of focus grouping and discussion
    • Climate Change Action
      • Things AFS can do about climate change and prioritize those actions
      • What can each chapter and section do?
      • President is working on a letter from AFS to be shared with other aquatic societies
      • Idea of starting a climate change section of AFS
    • Strategic plan
      • Alignment with chapters and sections
        • Getting sections to identify how priorities and goals align with strategic plan
        • Making sure chapters are aware and using it
      • Encourage Plan of Work for each incoming President for every section
    • Workshopped President’s Plan of Work
      • Four high priority areas
        • Public trust and visibility
          • Outreach, Media, and Policy
        • Skills Development for Career Advancement
          • Surveying members for needs
        • Increase Diversity
          • Increasing interest earlier on in a person’s life
            • High school chapters
            • Minors- legal factors/red tape?
          • Expanding Hutton program
        • Planning of Rebranding AFS
          • Name change discussion
            • Territory issues
            • Large Canadian membership (issues with “American”)
              • Difficult for Federal policies
            • It’s not just name and logo that are important, but also connecting with who we serve
            • Options so far
              • American Fisheries Society of North America
              • International Fisheries Society
              • The Fisheries Society
            • Software
              • FAMS is a good revenue source for us, do we plan to put more out?
              • Our role is to facilitate the process of software development that fits the needs of the overall membership
              • Open source packages in R is typical avenue for many things these days
              • FSA legacy plan- FITS could possibly help with this, but it would not be a revenue source.
                • Could we tie this into workshop
              • Pathway to donations for software development?
              • Repository or clearing house for app data or apps that have data
            • AFS 2020
              • Update on Big Data Symposium (Dan)
                • Asked for full day
                • Action Item– Dan to follow up with tentative speakers to encourage abstract submissions
                • Well-advertised among AFS sections
                • Deadline for abstracts is March 23rd
              • Update on late CE workshop submission (Paul)
                • Data management workshop – Tentatively accepted for half a day
                  • Action Item: Kayla to ask Keith Hurley to instruct workshop
                  • If Keith cannot instruct, Julie has expressed interest
                • 150 booth update (Paul/Rebecca) and discussion
                  • Photo competition sent out and posted on our site and Students and Early Career subsection site
                    • Deadline is July 31, 2020
                    • 3D camera as prize
                    • Rebecca plans to share with student listserv
                  • Security provided by AFS
                  • Booth package at $130
                    • Includes: Back drape, side drape, table with curtain, two chairs and waste basket and ID sign
                    • $132 for electricity to charge phones
                    • Need a power strip
                    • Action Item: Rebecca to fill out booth form, due July 20th, try to submit before July.
                  • CFTC status (Paul/Rebecca)
                    • Rebecca has a call with Jason on Monday
                    • Can start building now that WordPress is updated with necessary plugin
                    • Lay out schedule with target deadlines
                  • Travel Award (Paul/Rebecca)
                    • Table until next meeting
                    • Goal for next meeting – decide on a timeline
                  • Other business
                    • ExComm discussion on election cycle
                      • Proposal by Rebecca
                      • Change of by-laws to convert to new system: 4 year commitment
                        • Second vice president
                          • Learning year
                        • President elect
                          • Filling more duties
                        • President
                        • Past president
                      • Action item: Kayla will get with Rebecca and work on pursuing discussion with constitutional consultant

Next Meeting April 10th



Don’t miss fisheries tech announcements!

We don’t spam or share your email! You can unsubscribe anytime. This mailing list is separate from the FITS member newsletter.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.